A New Approach to Eye Care
Vision for a Nation is pioneering a new approach to delivering local eye care and affordable glasses.
In Rwanda, we have trained general nurses to provide front-line eye care through the country’s network of local health centres. The 2,700 nurses already trained have provided over 2 million screenings since 2012.
By the end of 2017, the nationwide eye care service that we've helped to build will be a fully integrated component of Rwanda’s national healthcare system. No other low-income nation has achieved this critical health goal.
We are now taking our groundbreaking work to other countries around the world.
In Rwanda, Vision for a Nation delivers:
- Local access to eye care services and treatment across the entire country
- Affordable glasses at every one of Rwanda’s 502 health centres
- Outreach to all of the country's 15,000 villages
- A referral system to professionally support people with more severe eye and vision problems
- Integration with national policies and health service to permanently embed local eye care services