Transforming Eye Care in Rwanda
Vision for a Nation has transformed eye care in Rwanda.
In just five years we have built a sustainable nationwide eye care service that is accessible to all 11.8 million Rwandans.
In the first truly nationwide programme of its kind, we have worked with the Government of Rwanda to:
- Establish local eye care services across Rwanda
- Develop an eye health course for the rapid training of general nurses
- Train general nurses for deployment at all of the nation's 502 health centres
- Build a nationwide supply chain for eye medication and glasses from Asia to all of the health centres
- Mobilise the public to access the new service at their local health centre
- Extend the service to each of the nation's 15,000 local villages
The Government of Rwanda assumed responsibility for the management and financing of primary eye care services in January 2018.
“Rwanda is leading the way in Africa by providing all its people with affordable eye care. This has been made possible by the great collaboration between the Government of Rwanda and Vision for a Nation, and an innovative approach to integrate local eye care services into our health system. The impact of this initiative has been enormous.”